Each component of this ordinance goes into effect as follows:
August 8, 2019
○ Prohibited sales and use of plastic foam (Styrofoam) products. This includes all food service ware, as well as coolers, containers, ice chests, shipping boxes, pool or beach toys, packing peanuts or other packaging materials, etc.
Jan 1, 2020
○ Prohibited use and distribution of straws, unless specifically requested. No straws provided shall be wrapped in plastic.
Jan 1, 2022
○ All disposable food-service ware (take-out and dine-in) is required to be compostable and clearly labeled with the BPI compostable logo (as defined by ASTM standards).
○ Self-bussing food service vendors must provide three color-coded bins clearly labeled for food scraps (green), recyclables (blue), and garbage (black).
○ Required $0.10 customer charge for single-use cups to encourage the use of reusable cups and bottles. Customers with EBT and WIC cards are exempt from the charge.
○ Charges for single-use cups shall be clearly identified pre-sale for the customer on any ordering platforms and identified separately on any post-sale receipt.
○ The $0.10 customer disposable cup charge goes directly back to the business