Poetry Month Contest
Calling all Poets!
We are holding a poetry contest to celebrate National Poetry Month.
We invite patrons to draw inspiration for their poetry from our upcoming Summer Reading program theme: Dig Deeper. Writers of all ages are encouraged to dig below the surface and peer into the great outdoors, explore their family histories, learn about their own and other cultures, and delve into the great unknown!
Deadline for Submission: Friday, May 29th, 2020 by 6PM.
This contest is for children, young adults, and adults. There are four divisions for the contest:
• Elementary Students (Grades 3-5)
• Middle School Students (Grades 6-8)
• High School Students (Grades 9-12)
Enter by submitting one copy of your original poetry on the template provided AND a contact slip noting your name, division, email, street address and phone number to the Library by:
• Mailing them to Watsonville Public Library, Poetry Contest, 275 Main Street, Watsonville, Ca, 95076
• Emailing them to stephanie.barraza AT cityofwatsonville.org
• One single page entry per person.
• Entries must fit on the provided poetry template worksheet in English or Spanish.
• Complete and attach a poetry contact form along with your poetry submission.
• We will be selecting one winner from each of the four age divisions.
• We will also be selecting one winner from any age group whose poem exemplifies our Summer Reading program theme: Dig Deeper.
• Winners will be notified and awarded gift cards during the month of June.
We look forward to reading your creations!
For questions, please contact Stephanie Barraza via email (above) or 831-768-3418.
Poetry Writing Resources & Inspiration
• Poetry4Kids.com - Children's author Kenn Nesbitt's "poetry playground" is home to poetry lessons and activities, poems to draw inspiration from, and features a rhyming dictionary!
• Writing with Writers - Poetry Writing - Scholastic offers step-by-step workshops created by notable authors Jack Prelutsky, Karla Kuskin, and Jean Marzollo. These free activity guides aim to provide inspiration and guide writers in their poetry writing experiences.
• Poetry Foundation - The Poetry Foundation offers several poetry resources for writers of all ages including educational resources for children, teens, and adults. The website also includes poems and instructional videos that are sure to inspire writers.