Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Household hazardous wastes (HHW) are unwanted household products containing hazardous ingredients and labeled with words such as “danger,” “warning,” “caution,” “poison,” “flammable,” or “corrosive.”  These products are not allowed in the garbage or recycling containers or carts. It is also illegal to pour any hazardous waste on the ground or in storm drains.

HHW is accepted at the City of Watsonville Waste and Recycling Drop-off located at 320 Harvest Drive. You must live within the City of Watsonville to use this program. Address verification is required.

Household Hazardous Waste is accepted ONLY on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and the 2nd  SATURDAY of each month from 9:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. 

State law limits the amount you can transport at a time: 15 gallon liquid or 125 pounds solid material. If you have questions regarding Household Hazardous Waste, call Customer Service at 768-3133 during business hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


January 14 February 11 March 11
April 8 May 13 June 10
July 8 August 12 September 9
October 14 November 11 December 9

You can download the flier for all the details:

Household Hazardous Drop-off Dates: Flyer for 2017

What to bring

  • Paint, paint thinners & paint removers (you can also take your leftover paint cans to Kelly Moore-Paints located at 1405 Freedom Blvd. (831) 724-3576 and Sherwin-Williams located at 110 Airport Blvd., (831) 724-5649.
  • Auto repair products
  • Pesticides & other garden chemicals
  • Parts cleaner, degreasers & solvents
  • Gasoline & camping fuel
  • Home cleaning products
  • Drain cleaner
  • Pool and hot tub chemicals
  • Glues, art & hobby supplies
  • Photographic chemicals
  • Outdated medicines

Do not bring

  • NO hazardous wastes from businesses
  • NO explosives
  • NO infectious wastes
  • No radioactive materials
  • No ammunition
  • NO asbestos
  • NO capacitors and transformers containing PCBs
  • NO compressed gas cylinders larger than 5 gallons (unless empty)

Household hazardous waste types that can be handled by staff are accepted every day. You can bring these items any day, six days a week (Monday-Saturday from 9:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)

  • Paint – Bring paint in original cans if possible. Don’t mix un-usable paint with paint that is in good condition. Some paint may be usable for City maintenance projects. You can also take extra paint to Kelly Moore located at 1405 Freedom Blvd. and to Eastlake Village True Value Hardware located at 1056 E. Lake Avenue.
  • Batteries – including automotive, alkaline, rechargeable, button batteries, cell phone batteries, battery packs from power tools, electric toothbrushes, vacuums and computers
  • Florescent light tubes and compact florescent bulbs (you can also take these to Orchard Supply Hardware, 1060 S. Green Valley Rd., ACE Hardware, 1820 Freedom Blvd. & 451 Main Street.)
  • Motor oil – use any plastic container with screw top
  • Oil filters – place in plastic bag
  • Transmission fluid – use any plastic container with screw top
  • Brake fluid – use any plastic container with screw top
  • Antifreeze – use any plastic container with screw top
  • Electronic waste including computers, monitors, phones, televisions

Transporting Household Hazardous Waste

All products must be packaged in sturdy, non-leaking, closed containers not larger than 5 gallons. Keep products in original containers. If a product does not have its original label, label it yourself if you’re sure of the contents. Don’t mix products together. Make sure products are properly sealed to prevent leaks and spills. If a container is leaking, secure it in a secondary leak-proof container. Place containers in sturdy boxes (do not double stack containers) in the trunk of your vehicle and away from driver and passengers. State law limits the amount in a vehicle to 15 gallons or 125 lbs per trip.

Hazardous Waste from Businesses

The Waste and Recycling Drop-off only accepts the TYPE and QUANTITY of household hazardous waste generated in homes.  Other disposal options are available for hazardous waste generated by businesses.

Services for Residents Living Outside the City of Watsonville

  • Santa Cruz County unincorporated area residents :  Use the County of Santa Cruz Buena Vista Landfill. For more information, call 454-2606 or
  • Salinas Valley Solid Waste Authority in Salinas serves Monterey County residents including Pajaro and Royal Oaks at the Sun Street HHW Facility at 139 Sun St, Salinas 93926. Open Monday – Saturday 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. Call 424-5520 for more information.
  • Monterey Regional Waste Management District in Marina serves residents and small businesses in Moss Landing, Castroville, Marina, Seaside, Del Rey Oaks, Sand City, Monterey, Monterey-Salinas Highway area, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach, Carmel, Unincorporated Carmel, Carmel Valley, Carmel Highlands, and Big Sur. Open Monday to Friday, 8:00 A.M.. to 5:00 P.M. and Saturday, 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.. Call 831-384-5313 for more information.  Please be prepared to show identification.

Ways to Reduce Household Hazardous Waste
Many people are switching to “greener” products that container less or no toxic ingredients. These products are often safer for people, pets and the environment.Learn more on how you can reduce household hazardous waste by visiting the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s website.