- City Government
- City Council
- Successor Agency
- Oversight Board of Successor Agency
- Boards & Commissions
- City Manager
- City Attorney
- City Clerk
- Public Hearings and Legal Notices
- Other Government Sites
- Online Bill Pay
- All Services
- Burn Days
- Fire Programs and Services
- How to Report a Fire Hazard
- Affordable Housing
- Housing Rehabilitation
- First Time Homebuyers
- Facts, Figures and FAQs
- Tenant Information
- Restaurant and Lounge
- Neighborhood Services
- Fee Schedule
- Graffiti Abatement Program
- Neighborhood Watch Program
- Library Catalog
- Environmental School Program
- Environmental Science Workshop
- Garbage, Recycling & Waste Reduction
- Pollution Prevention
- Utility Services
- Water Rates
- Animal Services
- Connect with Us
Preventing Electrical Fires
Electrical fires in our homes claim the lives of 280 Americans each year and injure 1,000 more. Some of these fires are caused by electrical system failures, but many more are caused by incorrectly installed wiring and overloaded circuits and extension cords.
- Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring.
- Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately.
- Replace any electrical tool if it causes even small electrical shocks, overheats, shorts out, or gives off smoke or sparks.
- Keep electrical appliances away from wet floors and counters; pay special care to electrical appliances in the bathroom and kitchen.
- Buy electrical products evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory.
- Keep clothes, curtains, and other potentially combustible items at least three feet from all heaters.
- If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
- Don’t allow children to play with or around electrical appliances like space heaters, irons, and hair dryers.
- Use safety closures to “child-proof” electrical outlets.
- Use electrical extension cords wisely; never overload extension cords or wall sockets.
- Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.
Finally, having a working smoke alarm dramatically increases your chances of surviving a fire. And remember to practice a home escape plan frequently with your family.
Source: U.S. Fire Administration
This entry was posted on Monday, August 4th, 2014 at 9:00 am and is filed under City of Watsonville, Fire Department . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.