Carbon Monoxide (The Silent Killer)

 

CarbonMonoxide-Safety-Home

Carbon Monoxide (The Silent Killer)

With the recent cold temperatures, Watsonville Fire Department is reminding residents to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) – a colorless, odorless, tasteless, yet deadly toxic gas that can overcome a person without warning.

Effects of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – Severe carbon monoxide poisoning causes neurological damage, illness, coma, and death.

Symptoms:

  • Headaches, dizziness, drowsiness.
  • Nausea, vomiting, tightness across the chest.
  • You feel better when you are away from home.
  • Everyone in the home feels sick at the same time.

Preventing CO Exposure

  • Never take a BBQ into a home.
  • Never use a generator indoors or in enclosed or partially enclosed area
  • Do not use gas powered equipment outdoors near doors, windows or vents
  • When using space heaters and stoves ensure that they are in good working order to reduce CO buildup, and never use in enclosed spaces or indoors.
  • Never leave your car running in an attached garage.

Install and maintain CO alarms in your home

Every home should have at least one operational CO alarm within 10 feet of every room used for sleeping. All CO alarms should conform to the latest Underwriters Laboratory (UL) Standards. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement of your CO alarm, and suggested replacement date.

If you experience symptoms of CO poisoning, call 911, get to fresh air right away and seek immediate medical attention.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 1st, 2016 at 9:00 am and is filed under City Manager, City of Watsonville, Community Development, Fire Department, Homepage News, Public Works . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.