Beatriz Vázquez Flores
275 Main St., Suite 400 (4th Floor)
Watsonville, CA 95076
(831) 768-3040 Business Hours: Monday – Thursday 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. Contact the City Clerk
The City Clerk Office’s mission is to ensure residents’ trust in government by supporting the City’s legislative process and provide transparent, accurate, and timely legislative history; safeguard all official records of the City; administer open elections; and deliver information and services efficiently and accurately to the public and to the Council.
The City Clerk is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the City Council. The office performs various professional and managerial duties according to State laws, City Charter, and Watsonville Municipal Code. The City Clerk plays a critical role in the decision-making process of the Council. The City Clerk facilitates the execution of official City legislative processes.
- The City Clerk is the custodian of City records. The City Clerk records the official actions of City government, documents the proceedings of meetings and retains legal and historical records, such as ordinances, resolutions, minutes, agendas, contracts, deeds, and subdivision maps.
- Prepares the agenda and minutes for City Council meetings, typically held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the Civic Plaza Council Chambers.
- Accepts and responds to most public records requests in accordance with the California Public Records Act.
- Maintains the City Charter and Municipal Code.
- Coordinates City’s board, commission and committee member recruitment.
- Administers oaths of office.
- Accepts and processes claims against the City and other legal documents.
- Serves as custodian of City seal.
- As Elections official, the City Clerk administers the election process. Voter registration and voting is coordinated with the County of Santa Cruz.
- Acts as filing officer for Conflict of Interest Statements filed by City elected and appointed officials and candidate and officeholder campaign filings.
- Serves as public information officer during disasters.