Facade Improvement Loans
The City of Watsonville is committed to having an attractive environment. If you need help with your businesses facade, please call us at (831) 768-3080. The City’s Facade Improvement Program provides partially forgivable loans to eligible property owners to enhance commercial building exteriors within the Watsonville City limits. The program is not intended to correct structural deficiencies or make significant repairs to the building, but primarily to make cosmetic improvements. The following summarizes some of the features and requirements for this program.
- Signs and Marquees
- Doors and Windows
- Other improvements consistent with the Program objectives
Terms and Conditions
- In order to qualify for the loan, the Applicant must apply for the program before starting any work. All improvements must be approved by the City prior to loan commitment and comply with all applicable codes and guidelines. Improvements made prior to City approval are not typically eligible under the Program.
- The City will assist the applicant in obtaining bids for the proposed scope of work. All work must be performed by contractors licensed by the State of California with a valid City Business License.
- Applicant is responsible for obtaining all necessary plans, permits, and approvals prior to commencement of improvements.
- Applicant will need to sign a Note and Deed of Trust promising to maintain the property in good condition.
- Loans are available up to $20,000 per building side being improved with a maximum assistance amount of $40,000 per building. for the first storefront and $2,500 for each additional storefront on the first floor in the same building. The loan will be amortized over ten years at 0% interest with 50% of the loan amount forgiven at the end of five years provided all conditions have been met.